The Zukunftskolleg is an Institute for Advanced Study (IAS). It offers fellowships as well as a diverse support network to promote the independence of early career researchers. Researchers at the postdoctoral level can work with minimal administrative constraints, and enjoy the freedom to engage in meaningful exchange with other up-and-coming colleagues as well as with distinguished senior researchers. Researchers in the humanities, social and natural sciences come to Konstanz from around the world to perform first-class research. The Zukunftskolleg is a keystone in the University of Konstanz's institutional strategy and the University of Konstanz is one of Germany’s eleven Universities of Excellence.
The Zukunftskolleg Konnect Fellowships support early career researchers from Africa, Asia and Latin America related to one of the thirteen departments of the University of Konstanz. As ZUKOnnect Fellow, you can use this time to extend your research networks and to get to know the research environment at the University of Konstanz, without losing your ties to your home university. As these fellowships can build a first bridge to the German and European academic system, we also encourage doctoral students in their last year to apply. The Zukunftskolleg will not offer employment contracts for ZUKOnnect Fellows.
ZUKOnnect Fellowship for early career researchers from Africa, Asia and Latin America
Up to 4 (post-)doctoral stipends for an on-campus research stay at the Zukunftskolleg are available for up to 3 months (with justification for up to 4 months). The on-site ZUKOnnect Fellowships are complemented by a digital affiliation extending it to a duration of 12-months. The start date for the digital affiliation is summer 2023. The preferred start date for the on-site ZUKOnnect Fellowships is between 15 September 2023 and 15 October 2023.
- You will live in Konstanz or nearby throughout the on-site ZUKOnnect Fellowship
(the Welcome Centre at the University of Konstanz will support you with all
organizational aspects of relocating to Konstanz).
- During the digital affiliation and the on-campus research stay, you will
actively contribute to the interdisciplinary dialogue at the Zukunftskolleg,
e.g. during weekly Jour fixe meetings (in the semester).
- You will interact with fellows and researchers in relevant departments at the
University of Konstanz.
- You will give a presentation in a seminar or a public lecture.
- You will acknowledge the Zukunftskolleg’s support in any publications resulting
from the stay.
- You will write a short report on your activities and achievements (within 6
months of completing your ZUKOnnect Fellowship).
- You are educated AND currently work in Latin America, Asia and/or Africa.
- You hold a doctorate (max. 2 years of postdoctoral experience) OR are a doctoral
student in your last year.
- Your doctorate was/ is going to be completed at a university in Latin America,
Asia and/or Africa
- You do not hold a permanent professorship, nor do you have a habilitation or
equivalent qualification (Venia legendi).
- Your research project fits to one of the disciplines represented at the
University of Konstanz.
- You should name a researcher at the University of Konstanz – possibly a current
Fellow of the Zukunftskolleg – with whom you intend to collaborate (please do
not contact person(s) in advance).
- During the on-campus research stay, a stipend of € 1,200/month for doctoral
students and € 2,000/month for postdoctoral researchers (following DAAD
- Standard expenses for one economy-class trip to Konstanz and back
- The chance to participate in events organized by the Zukunftskolleg
- Access to library resources
- Access to IT services
- Access to research support services (via Research Support)
- After the on-campus research stay at the Zukunftskolleg, ZUKOnnect Fellows will
benefit from a digital fellowship extending the total funding period to 12
months. The digital affiliation will be supported with up to € 900 (lump sum).
Please submit your application documents in English as separate PDF files via our online application portal.
The reference number is 2022/289. Applications should include:
- A letter of motivation (including your objectives for the research stay at
the Zukunftskolleg and an explanation of how your research ties in with the
research landscape at the university; maximum 2 pages)
- Short summary of your ongoing research project (maximum 3 pages incl.
- A detailed work and time plan for your on-campus research project at the
Zukunftskolleg (maximum 2 pages)
- Your curriculum vitae
- Relevant certificates (doctoral certificate OR a letter from your doctoral
supervisor confirming the status of your doctoral thesis)
- One academic letter of reference, ideally on official letterhead paper and
signed by the respective reviewer
Other additional certificates and documents uploaded to the application platform will not be considered and will manually be removed during the eligibility check.
More information is available online (www.uni-konstanz.de/zukunftskolleg/fellowships/zukonnect-fellowship/), where you will also find an extensive FAQ document. Further questions can be directed via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. We also offer an online info session on the 1 February 2023 at 13:00 (CET).
If the budget situation permits, the Zukunftskolleg can grant financial support for family members who accompany the ZUKOnnect Fellows during the scholarship.
We look forward to receiving your application, including all required documents, until 13 February 2023 (15:00 CET).